Saturday, February 19, 2011

Thoughts and reflections on epilepsy treatment. (Article 26 of the history of my epilepsy.)














After suffering from epilepsy for several decades, I have gained great experience from many neurological centers in various countries. ( MRI = Magnetic Resonance Imaging, I have, for example, been involved in four different countries). I have experienced how they have treated me, taken care of me, have talked to me or what atmosphere they offered and which general resources of a technical and human kind were available.
The focus of neurology,epilepsy, which I have met has been and is largely a clearly technology-dominated world, so I start in that end. When I debuted as an epileptic l960 EEG (Electroencephalography) was the instrument that dominated. It registered neocortical electrical activity and produced an electroencephalogram. A routine EEG measurement takes 20-40 minutes, plus preparation and measurement are usually done by 25 electrodes glued to the scalp in an international grid using a conductive gel. EEG measurements are to distinguish epileptic seizures from other types of disturbances such as psychogenic non epileptic disorders and variations of migraine and to characterize the attacks, to be able to ordinate medical treatment and to locate the origin of seizures and address of the brain to have a basis for possible surgical intervention.
I went through my first EEG-test in Lund l960 and the latest in Xàtiva, Spain, 2009. In between, I passed such a test each year. In addition, I participated two times in a 5-day continuous testing with portable fixed electrodes, which was a very hard experience. The outcomes have all had very small deviations compared to what has been considered normal curves. According to my favorite neurologist in Helsingborg, it has been very difficult to show abnormal responses in my brain's electrical activity,  although I had petit mall seizures during the measurements.
The big development step in neuroscience was when MRI was introduced. It is a fairly young technology and has been in operation little more than 30 years (compared with 110 years of X-rays). The first MRI study I was involved in took place in LA 1978 at UCLA (arranged by DR David Holden) when I was undergoing Primal Therapy. Later, I have been through similar tests at different hospitals in Sweden, Denmark and Spain. Apart from a Spanish study in 1990 in Valencia,  no abnormalities have been detected. (In Valencia, the doctor pointed to some minor irregularities which, however, were neglected when I presented the film for a Swedish neurologist.)
For medicines, I have been treated with a small number of variants. Out of a list of 30-40 international medication for epilepsy I have tried the following four during the many years: Tegretol, Dilantin, Lamictal and Keppra (names differ slightly between different countries). However, I never took them in combination. Most anti-epileptic drugs can have strong side effects, and my liver became negatively influenced by my Tegretol intake. On some occasions, I was kindly advised to be careful with alcohol consumption in view of my liver. These suggestions I received accompanying the annual general health screening at the company where I worked when epilepsy wasn’t in the news. Alcohol, I have largely avoided for 50 years, and that was why suspicions were directed against my Tegretol intake, which led to that, I eventually decided to close it. Tegretol is an effective medication for epilepsy, but it is supposed to be harmful to the test rats.
All neurology doctors, I have met have proven very uncertain or unwilling when I asked them to recommend anti-epileptic medications. If a drug has been effective and stable from the point of seizure without serious side effects a neurologist is reluctant to make changes no matter what other reasons exist, such as a sense of inertia and lethargy or due to sexual problems.
Medications and instruments (EEC and MRI) are universal in the neurological epilepsy management and my hopes that new cultures and countries could offer something different has ended in disappointments. Unfortunately, doctors, waiting rooms and receptions, are a reflection of the standard international pharmaceutical and instrument industry, which means they are a cold, technical environment with minimal time and understanding of innovative solutions. Doctors, trained neurological technicians on a high formal level, working with a complex problem and squeezed by limited financial resources and efficiency requirements. Logic, techniques and verbal ability dazzle us when we meet our neurologist. Expressions of the emotional right side of the brain, I have rarely witnessed at a meeting with a neurologist, and then I have been lucky in this respect, and met some of the best neurologists such as Dr. David Ingvar, Dr. Ingmar Nilsson, PhD. David Holden (an exception in the case of emotional expressions) and Dr. Gert Malmqvist to name a few.
Along with access to these skilled neurologists, I have had access to first-class clinics with the latest instruments. When I dare to be critical I try not to think of all the wretched creatures who lived in the wrong place with poor access to doctors without tools and a limited drug availability and without Social Security. My crying make me remember the story of when Hellen Keller, who was born blind and deaf, on one occasion later in life, wanted a new pair of shoes. Since she could not get them, she felt miserable. Until she met a person who had no feet ....
The world, who faces an epileptic, as I have described, is a quite unreasonable, formal and conservative world. Patients are often disabled, drugged by anti-epileptic medication and without self-confidence and resources to drive change and innovation. “In the world of the blind the one-eyed is King” is an old well-known expression of Rousseau. It is a world, I had to respect and to play a formal game with to get drugs, marriage licenses, driving licenses, etc.. However, I have always believed that there were other solutions, and I have on several occasions been awarded for tireless diligence. In particular, Primal Therapy helped me sensationally, but also homeopathy, the food sector (including health food), various massage techniques (including Rolfing) and physical training have proven very useful in helping to cope with and mitigate my epilepsy.
In my job as an internal change consultant working in an international environment, I have been accustomed to working with business plans, leadership and control. Business Plans have meant that we have developed visions, set goals and worked out strategies which a management team, with the ability and willingness to implement a project has been responsible for. A monitoring system has meant to quantify and check targets and to follow  the outside world and make comparisons where we stood ourselves from a competitive point of view. In my struggle with epilepsy and in search of alternative solutions my entrepreneurial thinking often has helped me to dare to take decisions that  have been different.
I hope that the future epilepsy treatment will develop a positive approach in which visions, goals and a team of responsible can raise the quality of treatment as well as the lives of the sick. The explosion of knowledge in the brain research and the dynamic therapies in combination with modern patient treatment give me the courage to be optimistic. Future neurological clinics will naturally evolve from today's technology oriented center, with the hunting for symptoms with drug recipes as the main weapon, to a more holistic treatment center. Here teams will analyze the causes which will be treated with therapies, diet, exercise, medication and surgery when all else fails.
Within a few years, our neurologists have gained a much better knowledge to define the type of epilepsy that we suffer from. There will obviously always be different reasons for developing epilepsy and the guidance of a neurologist is necessary. A neurologist is also needed to judge that criteria are met legally to obtain a driver’s license, do military services, etc.
Medications are from both a short and long term perspective a prerequisite for those who cannot or will not use therapy or other alternative solutions. For those who are able to go to therapy a flexible administration of medicine may act as a balancing aid. This flexibility will depend on teamwork between the patient, the therapist and the neurologist. The current knowledge explosion is likely to make it easier to be epileptic in the future.
“It is sad to live in a time when it is easier to split an atom than to blow up a prejudice.”  Albert Einstein

5 comments:

  1. I give all thanks to a man who made my son to have a meaningful life,my son have been suffering from epilepsy for years,until i got the cure from him(Dr Omorogie),his product made my son to be completely cured from it,the problem has been affecting his education,which has made him not to be focus in his education.i got the contact of the doctor from a friend,and i contacted him and that was how he sent me his product which i used on him now he is completely cure.
    so any body with such problem can also contact him on +2349026124271 or through his mail account on dromorogie@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

  2. it's a very helpful article, In my opinion, every mom should understand that epilepsy is not a sin and it requires great patience and love, so they will take care their children with a great love and understanding.

    regards,

    Health Jobs Australia

    ReplyDelete

  3. How my son survived epilepsy.
    My son at the age of 13 suffered from terrible seizures as a result of the terrible condition called epilepsy and this was very humiliating and life threatening because he was continuously on life support drugs and medicines but none seemed to cure all they did was revive him and the seizure kept coming to him this lasted for 8 more years. The last time he had seizure in may last year i was called where i worked that my son had a terrible seizure, he was also revived from that but that day i wept. I was fortunate enough to explain my ordeal to a friend who invited Dr. Joseph who came and started treating my son with his medicine at our house for two months and in 3 months the seizure never happened again they were gone and even up till now he is very fine without any epileptic symptoms. Today he 22 and i believe he has been cured. Epilepsy has a cure simply try to reach the doctor on (josephalberteo@gmail.com) for more information about his treatment process or how to get his medicine. Do not give up on yourself, i hope my son's story motivates you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL THANKS TO DR WILLIAMS FOR THE GREAT DEED HE HAVE DON FOR MY FAMILY.This information will be useful for Epilepsy patients who is willing to use herbal medicine. My daughter had temporal lobe epilepsy, She had seizure and had a grand mal with rage episode. Our daughter's seizure is constant throughout the day. We had used several medicine which include: Epilim and Keppra, experience seizure control at the cost of serious debilitating side effects. It was during a casual conversation with a friend that I learned about Dr. William HERBAL HOME,for different king of disease , it does not have any side effect. I am glad to say that he has been seizure-free since July 2016 after taking William medicine. this a miracle cure?contact him for more detail (drwilliams098765@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Epilepsy is a neurological disorder marked by sudden recurrent episodes of sensory disturbance, loss of consciousness, or convulsions, associated with abnormal electrical activity in the brain. My son suffered from this disease for two years. He was constantly having Uncontrollable jerking movements of the arms and legs, Temporary confusion, Loss of consciousness and awareness. He was taking Acetazolamide Diamox 250 mgs bd, 1000mgs daily in divided doses. Carbamazepine (CBZ) Tegretol Regular 100‐200 mgs 1‐2 times daily. Clobazam (CBZ) Frisium 5‐10 mgs daily. Diazepam Valium (DZP) 5‐10mgs daily. Ethosuximide Zarontin (ETH) 250 mgs every 1/52, 2000 mgs daily. But despite taking all this medications, his condition was not still getting better. I and my wife became very worried as my son’s condition was becoming inimical by the day. So this prompted me to start a research online where I stumbled into an article in it I saw so many people talking about herbal doctor Uwadia Amenifo, how they have all positively benefited from his herbal cure. I took solace in their applaud to him and in their write up came the contact details of the herbal doctor. I copied out his contact details, and immediately I put a call across to him, and after explaining my son’s condition to him he gave me hope by saying he have cured so many people of epilepsy and that curing my son for him is as easy as him slashing his fingers. So I was very encouraged and I gave him a YES to go ahead. After all set have be done he prepared the herbs, and shipped it to me. We succinctly followed his instructions on the usage of his herbal product, and behold just as we never anticipate, his herbs worked perfectly well, and cured my son of his epilepsy. This gave me joy and I see reasons to share on this page with all those who, and or have people who is still suffering from epilepsy to in my abrupt recommendation contact Dr Uwadia Amenifo for their immediate cure. Below is a book of his contact details.
    Name: Doctor Uwadia Amenifo
    Email: doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com
    Phone Number: +2349052015874.

    ReplyDelete