Thursday, April 21, 2016

A Different Way Of Using A Chromatic Scale









 A Different Way Of Using A Chromatic Scale   





Since Eva had booked a return flight to Sweden today I started the morning with a 4-hour round trip drive to Alicante in glorious, Spanish, spring weather. After lunch and sunbathing in the patio and a fine mobile phone call with my daughter in Valencia, I used a couple of hours practicing scales and fingering my tenor sax. Meanwhile, the postman delivered Alice Miller's German version of "Banished Knowledge" / "Das verbannte Wissen". The book is in the original edition and contains the chapter (My Way To Myself / Mein Weg zu mir), which Alice Miller in the mid-90s deleted (http://www.primals.org/articles/amiller.html). The chapter is in part a song of praise to Arthur Janov and his ideas that we can re-live repressed traumas from our birth and early childhood. 

Alice Miller describes how she searched and how she, eventually, found the therapy support, according to primal therapy principles of a gifted therapist in Bern, Switzerland. However, a few years later Alice Miller found out that the therapist in question turned out to be a charlatan with no formal prerequisites to pursue such an advanced psychotherapeutic treatment. As Alice Miller also started to question Arthur Janov’s capacity to monitor the impact of the processes, that his ingenious discovery had the potential to launch, Alice Miller decided to no longer recommend primal therapy.

Since Eva had gone to Sweden, I had nobody to express my feelings to. I felt empty, tired and sad and I lay down to feel my stab of anxiety. After a few hours, I woke up in a hallucinatory state. On a monitor in my head, I saw a huge chromatic jazz scale with notes. Large silver bubbles (surely inspired by my new silver tenor sax), floated around below the lines of the treble staff. Each time a note was in line to be played, a silver bubble ascended, took the place of the note and opened dramatically as a flower. Several traumatic experiences of my later life, my youth, my childhood and my birth was played as the silver bubbles rose up. 

After what seemed like more than an hour of psychotherapy scale exercises, I felt relaxed and together and I sent grateful thoughts to Arthur Janov, Ida Rolf, and Alice Miller. They have individually and collectively given me the opportunities and skills to my both pleasant and painful scale exercise, which I hope will eventually become bebop for my own pleasure.


Jan Johnsson

No comments:

Post a Comment