Saturday, December 18, 2010

Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year

We here in Genovés have during 2010 with the help of positive changes of economic and psychological nature, again found our rhythm of life. The Spanish and the international crises we will be stuck with even when we are rushing into 2011. My personal delight at the newfound resilience of the Swedish krona is a stance that the Swedish export industry certainly does not share. In La Costera, where we live, many neighbors for their survival are dependent on employers who wish that the euro would be cheaper and that would be OK for me as long as I shall not sell the house and move to Sweden... It must be hell to be a responsible European politician!

Issa opted out of biology, chemistry and physics, and added Latin and art to her subjects to study for a future graduation. Unfortunately, both Issa and her mother opted out of the topic “Family relations”. Which alternative they have done, I have not yet been informed of. My dream is that they both would like each other. To avoid the risk of egg all over I moved Isabels piano to Elvira in the summer.

"What do you do with all of your time?", there are people who ask. I do not have  enough time!! Although we basically have just a few visits during the spring, fall and summer from friends in Sweden and Denmark, and I read fewer books than I did before when I also played golf. The Internet, writing, plus the fact that the tempo is slow means that I sometimes feel guilty when I do not have time for more...

A trip to and a fine experience in France, St. Tropez, I did, however, in July when Issa and I met "my pal" since 1978, Art Janov and his wife France. He has reached the age of 86 years but is amazingly vibrant. He publishes a new book now at the turn of the year. Unfortunately, he won’t get the Nobel Prize, which I have to put up with this year since Mario Vargas Llosa got it. He is a Hispanic, excellent writer, a social critic, political, intelligent and a true soccer fan. He is a Real Madrid supporter, but I forgive him that. Especially 
after Barca, our favorites, won El Clásico with 5-0!!!!!

After writing articles about my adventures with epilepsy in both Swedish and English, I have started my blog (http://epilepticjourney.blogspot.com/) which I have chosen to write in English because the majority of insiders and possibly interested are not Swedish-speaking, while all Swedes understand English. If anyone has a problem, do what I do: Use Google's great translation program!

Many dependencies, including women, I have managed to overcome, but I wonder if not the weather here in La Costera is developing itself into a habit-dependence. It is enough that I go to Valencia, and I’m immediately longing home to the weather in Genovés. I could not create sufficient motivation to go to Sweden for Christmas this year. Issa, however, who is young and full of ambition can easily prioritize down the weather impact, and she goes, December 23, to Ramlösa, to visit her friend Hansi and of course, she’s hoping for a  white Christmas!
My morning walks with Puskas, the Internet, Skype, email, newspapers, books, blogs and the Mediterranean diet make that I cannot feel sorry for myself. I am a privileged digital immigrant!




From Jan, Isabel and Puskas

No comments:

Post a Comment