Friday, June 21, 2013

It Is Easy To Criticize What Is Missing.


It Is Easy To Criticize What Is Missing.



During several articles, I have let out my disappointment that the Primal Therapy is too narrow and is lacking a holistic partner-ship. I have based my criticism in that PT is without modern management, is negligent to   Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and to the fact that it is very common that  patients, who are seeking therapeutic help, also are suffering a physiological imbalance.

I’m still convinced that a holistic partnership between the Primal Therapy, Rolfing, an individually tailored diet and physical exercises (enhancing breathing, endurance and circulation) in which patients are being offered a long-term career counselling, will be a necessity to break the monopoly of the psychiatric medications in the ongoing neurotic rat race.

However, based on my 40 year journey, with many highs and lows, to treat epilepsy / birth-trauma and neuroses, I have for a couple of years followed a case that has reinforced my views about the value of a holistic treatment. The last three weeks I have had the opportunity to evaluate my experiences and to my surprise, my conclusion is not, which could have been logical, more criticism to Janov, but rather the opposite.

It is easy to criticize shortcomings in PT because so many line up on the criticism of re-living repressed pain. But do we value PT as a still experimental treatment that works, against all odds, against the wind in a true neurotic society, then a different picture appears. “Evolution in Reverse” is a cure, which is naturally opposed to the repression of our mental and physical pain established by evolution in order for us to survive unbearable pain. As a consequence, Janov, The Special One, with his ambition to guide his patients to re-live repressed pain has not only his patients feelings to fight with. He has also the cognitive-dominated psycho-therapeutic paradigm and all educational institutions and their preferred literature to fight against.

Belive by all means not that I feel sorry for Art Janov in his seemingly futile efforts to get us to understand The Primal Principles / Evolution in Reverse. Part of his genius lies in that he does not give up facing the opposition from the present paradigm and the profit- and psychiatrist-propelled pharmaceutical industry. He has been captured by the famous Kantian image of the dove that is not hindered but, on the contrary, is carried by air resistance! He has a belief, call it courage, bordering on arrogance, to believe himself to be totally independent.

To write and disseminate messages about feelings and love, in a time of neurotic lifestyles, he would hardly have embarked on if he did not believe to be master of himself. He has also been favored by the circumstances, during 47 years since he made the discovery that clearly stabilized his telomeres so that in an advanced age he is still fit in his Reflections and messages. No external constraints have forced Art to change his direction. He has been doing his experiences, expressed his thoughts and been able to devote all his time to it. Much of existence setbacks have been obscured by his good luck.

It is Wiser To Gratefully Appraise What Is Available.

Jan Johnsson

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jan.

    Some therapies/exercises focus on the body as if it were separate from the mind. These therapies do not address the reason for all of the tension and pain. Instead, they are based on a crude principle: When the "faulty" parts are separately "corrected" they will have only a positive effect on the mind.

    But as you know, Janov's therapy is based on holistic connection; symptoms are not considered separate from the cause and are not treated separately. And according to his theory, there is only one way to connect/heal: evolution in reverse is the only way to trace the result back to the cause. Gotta heal the cause.

    In many cases, the mind is the cause, and the effect does indeed serve a purpose. Muscle tension, shallow breathing and high levels of cortisol are harmful, but they are the result of a defense system at work; the mind and body are trying to find the best compromise. If you try to attach one of those non-holistic therapies to primal therapy, you will create a non-holistic therapy. In many cases, non-holistic means dangerous - hence my desire to criticize.

    Having said that, I think this is a good website and I hope you continue with it.

    Richard Atkin



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Richard,

      I don't know which therapies you are including in those which "are separate from the mind, not addressing the reason for the tension and pain". However my experience since 35 years is from Rolfing. Rolfing was innovated and established by Dr. Ida Rolf before Primal Therapy and Dr. Rolf was aware of and wrote about pain and traumas after and before birth and her treatment focused on structural integration of the human body to heal the effects of early repressed traumas and pain which distort and handicap our body and posture.

      1978 after two years in PT with only marginal effects, I underwent Rolfing in Boulder, Colorado. This treatment shock started my physio psychological revolution and initiated my demystification of my epilepsy. This Rolfing treatment combined by my understanding of the primal principle and by being guided by Art Janov, I could successfully continue my journey to cure my complicated birth trauma.

      Having been connected to Art and PT and having enjoyed Rolfing during the last 4 decades I have been successful in curing myself and later been able to help a few friends with the same concept.

      I respect if you after having been cured by PT have another opinion but I kindly ask you not to generalize about negative impacts when PT and Rolfing are combined. They are furthermore both natural therapies and measures to cure and restore the ability of our body and mind.

      As a curiosity I can mention that Art during two occasions has told me about his knowledge and connection with Dr. Ida Rolf and he told me in St. Tropez, as late as three years ago, that Dr. Rolf died in the arms of his best friend.

      To me Art has mentioned that his fear is that Rolfing might release more repressed pain that a patients can handle, which is a view I have full respect for. On the other hand, I know of numerous patients with the same negative experience of Primal Therapy.

      Jan Johnsson

      Delete