Thursday, January 20, 2011

Rolfing 6. (Jan. 20th, 2011)



Rolfing 6. (Jan. 20th, 2011)
“ A satisfactorily Rolfed body is a body in which in a flexion, extensors extend when flexors flex.” This was one of Ida Rolfs definitions. Having been through a 3 hour Rolfing session today, I start to get a certain grasp of that definition. The understanding happens when you have been through the Rolfing hours and suddenly a leg is moving back, not by pushing the muscles on the front, but by pulling on the back. As the old Lady said: “When that happens, the body has the use of a very great deal more of itself”.
It is fascinating and interesting to discover how connected my use of muscles/fascia all over my body is connected to a painful and 48 hour delayed birth process and how related these tensions and flexions have been to my epilepsy and to my lifelong sensations of being tense and stuck. This happened by an imprint / programming apparently installed for the sake of my survival. However, most of these tensions for survival of my birth, later developed into an ever present mental and physical handicap of easily getting stuck.
Jordi, my Rolfer, live and think Rolfing from several dimensions. It is a pleasure to be able to discuss my psycho therapeutic experiences and my epilepsy with him in the context of Rolfing. There is a different therapeutic approach than the somewhat hardcore and selfish attitude Dr Rolf had to psychological effects, which probably scared Dr Janov. Jordi, himself a musician (cellist) will be writing his dissertation on the theme “Use and interpretation of Rolfing for actors”. It will be exciting to follow!
Jan Johnsson       

No comments:

Post a Comment