Thursday, January 13, 2011

Rolfing5. (Jan. 13th, 2011)


Rolfing 5. (Jan. 13th, 2011) 
After a four week pause I returned to my Rolfing sessions today to continue to develop my coordination of release of physical repression with eradication of mental blocking. As a summary of my first few sessions I want to say that the techniques applied by a Rolfer these days are much more developed, advanced and conscientious than when I tried Rolfing 30 years ago. Rolfing is today an international treatment for Structural Integration, working on the connective tissues (fascia) to release, realign and balance the whole body. 
The Rolfers do it with a well coordinated theory, practice and organization. They are very aware of the risk of exaggerations, which might create undesired mental effects if adequate help not is available. My interpretation is that they are up against the same problem as Primal Therapy. They do not get much of support from cognitive therapists who  are generally in favor of the principle further to repress the pain. Both Primal Therapy and Rolfing are, in theory and practice, in favor of unblocking pain. Together they can form a dream team.
Today's treatment was about one of Dr Rolfs favorite topics: "To walk with the diaphragm and to breathe with the feet". After a 2-hour session, I was convinced by Jordi, my Rolfer, that the movements of my feet are initiated high up behind my lungs. That way I walk with the correct pendulum with my legs. For decades, I have initiated my steps with my thighs. What a difference! As Dr Janov says: "When you cannot delude yourself, you can be helped".
Have you ever heard of MBT shoes? They are constructed with rounded soles to create the correct equilibrium, and they automatically release the muscles in our legs and feet, and we get a natural pendulum in our leg while walking. There will be no more hip problems due to this cause! I have bought, used (during a few months) and been convinced of the advantages they give me. The favours the give me are logic and so close to both Primal Therapy and Rolfing that they represent  a promising long-term threat to the cognitive way of thinking!
Jan Johnsson  

No comments:

Post a Comment